Saturday, September 16, 2023

Storm Fizzles; Fishing Sizzles

 

This slot fish, one of many today, took a large
bucktail jig with a Fat Cow jig strip.

It was the storm that wasn't. Today's surf was supposed to be dangerously high and super rough. It wasn't.  In fact, by evening, the ocean was flat as a pancake with a gentle northwesterly breeze. The water was clean with no sand in it along the places I fished today.

Like many other fishermen I did not plan to fish today. But, I got several calls from friends who were fishing and catching this morning so I decided to go down and try. I'm glad I did.  I hit some of the hottest fishing of the fall today in a spot I had all to myself.  Big numbers of stripers were after peanut bunker.  These bass were all charged up and were in a feeding frenzy blasting the peanut bunker right out of the water as well as any offerings that I tossed their way.  I got some fish on bucktail jig with Fat Cow pink tails.  I got other fish to take a 5 inch NLBN paddle tail on a once ounce head.  Still, other fish went for my topwater offering, a Yo-Zuri Hydro Pencil in a bone color. The one common thread here was that all the fish were good size. They were mostly all slot fish in the 28 to 30 inch range. The action lasted well over three hours!

I'm guessing this rough water that we had a few days ago moved a lot of fish and bait ashore. I know it was as good as it gets today in the daytime.  I'm hoping it continues.