Thursday, September 21, 2023

Best Week of the Year

 

I've got my thumb in the jaw of
another good size slot that fell for
a bucktail jig with a pink Fat Cow
jig strip. Fishing has been read hot
in the last week for me.

For me, this has been the best week of the year for saltwater fishing. I fished hard the last 5 days in a row and caught staggering numbers of stripers of all sizes from schoolies up to over slots. My count in the logbook shows close to 100 stripers landed and released in the last five days. Roughly thirty percent of those fish were slots.  I also had tow fish of 40 inches.  Add to that a bunch of blues from little 5 pounders to gators in the low teens. 

The action has also been widespread.  I landed very good numbers in the surf along the oceanfront, but also got big numbers from the kayak in the Bay. Along the oceanfront it was all bucktail jigs scoring with the rougher the water, the better.  In the Bay, it was all topwater action with a Rebel Jumpin' Minnow catching the most fish.

Wind, rain and rough water is coming for the weekend.  I say "bring it on" since the roughness has really turned the fish on.

The best of the fall action is now here. Hopefully it stays that way!

Here's a slot taken from my kayak in the Bay
today. Action in the Bay has also been red hot.