Monday, September 25, 2023

Metal to the Rescue!

 

This Hopkins metal lure delivered yesterday
in the wind and heavy surf.

I was looking at a skunk yesterday.  I was fishing great water and rough conditions, and I just knew there were fish around but I was not getting them. I was fishing mostly with my bucktail jig.  It was not working. I thought to myself, "maybe a longer cast in these rough conditions might just do it." So, I reached in my bag for a large metal Hopkins lure.  This thing casts like a bullet even into a stiff wind.  It got me an extra 15 yards over the bucktail, and it was just enough to get me to where the waves were breaking. Just a few casts into using the Hopkins and I was on. The fish ended up being a slot.  I landed several more fish with the metal including a good sized over slot.

That Hopkins lure is one of those specialty lures that I use when conditions dictate it and when a real long cast is needed. Yesterday it worked like a charm, and delivered.