Thursday, September 14, 2023

Huge, Dangerous Waves Pound the Coast

 If you are even thinking about fishing anywhere along the oceanfront in the next few days, forget it.  I went down today to try and get in one more day of fishing, and it was impossible. I saw huge hurricane driven waves in the 8 to 15 foot range coming right over the East, Center and West Walls around the Harbor of Refuge in Narragansett. Keep in mind the Hurricane itself is two days away from brushing the coastline.  I can only imagine how bad it is going to become in the next few days. 

Realize, too, that many of the access points and rights-of-ways were shut down along with the parking today. Access points in Narragansett at Hazard Ave., Newton Ave. and Bass Rock Rd. were all shut down. In protected places where I could get a look at the water, it was all roiled up with sand and weed, making for poor fishing conditions.

I'm guessing very protected areas in Narragansett Bay or the coastal ponds could be fishable, but realize all that rain we got in the last five days (10 inches in some places) has really screwed up the water in the Bay.  I got out in my kayak a few days ago and saw coffee colored water all over the place.  The fishing was also poor.

These big waves will have a big effect on our fishing.  I'm guessing it will be at least mid next week before the water begins to clear along the oceanfront and some worthwhile fishing returns.

Check out the video clip below of the big waves coming right over the East Wall in Narragansett.