Saturday, May 14, 2022

Topwater Really Producing; Bay is the Place

This hefty schoolie, landed this evening has a
Rebel Jumpin' Minnow (bone color) stuck in
its jaw.  The Jumpin' Minnow has been a hot plug.

 I've been out just about every evening in the last week.  I'm fishing only in the Bay from shore, and I have had good success. The hot lures right now are just about anything topwater.  Earlier in the week the Slug-go was hot for larger schoolies and slots.  Tonight it was the Rebel Jumpin' Minnow that lured good numbers of schoolies. That was the ONLY artificial they would hit.  I've also gotten stripers of all sizes on pencil poppers and regular poppers this week. Jigs, so hot in the early going, have taken a backseat to topwater offerings.

I'm not sure what is going on along the oceanfront since most of the fishermen I know have turned to the Bay from both shore and boat. The fish are widespread in the Bay since I have fished many different spots this week (tide dependent places) that have been tens of miles apart.  It seems like there are stripers just about everywhere I have gone.

Earlier in the week, the Slug-go was hot.  Here a slot fish
comes ashore that was landed on a white Slug-go.