Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Action Shifting to the Bay

 I got out today in my Old Town Sportsman 10-6 PDL kayak.  The action has been marginal at best along the oceanfront this week with a lot of weed and unfavorable winds. So, I decided to try the Bay.  My son, Jon, had a big day yesterday with 14 bass (6 of them slots), so I kind of got tipped off as to where they were.

It took me no more than 15 minutes and I had a slot fish (over? maybe). I landed a few more smaller ones and had a lot of hits.  They were fussy in the calm water I was fishing tonight, but there were good numbers of fish around. I even managed to spook quite a few fished as I pedaled along.

The hot lure was an unweighted super Zoom fluke threaded  onto a swimbait hook.  I like the white ones with a chartreuse tail.  This lure can be trolled or casted and twitched ashore.

Here is a schoolie that I landed tonight from the kayak.