Friday, May 27, 2022

Best Bets for Holiday Weekend

 

I landed this monster blue on a Rebel Jumpin'
Minnow from my kayak this evening. Blues are
around in good numbers and they are big. I think
they are your best bet this holiday weekend.

I'm guessing that many of you will be doing some fishing this Memorial Day weekend. I've been out and about for the last seven days, fishing from shore and kayak so I think I have a pretty good idea of what is going on. Here's some of the best bets in order:

#1- Bluefish- I have landed them this week from both shore and the kayak.... all while fishing in Narragansett Bay.  It's a topwater show with Rebel Jumpin' Minnows, Yo-Zuri Hydro Pencils and pencil poppers catching most of my fish.  I've had the best luck in rough water with a stiff wind in my face.  The blues are running good size with most of them going 7 to 10 lbs., but I've also gotten many bigger ones in the teens.  They are also along the oceanfront but not as thick as you will find in the Bay. It can be a hit or miss deal so plan on hitting multiple spots if one place does not work out.  Boaters have a big advantage since they can move around to find the blues.

#2- Larger stripers under schools of menhaden- The menhaden are in sporadic small schools in many areas of the Bay.  It's a matter of finding them.  Most likely slot fish and over slots are under them or near them.  My son, Jon, was out in the kayak one morning this week and he landed good numbers of stripers up to 40 inches long. He went out the next day and did nothing....no pogies, no bass. I also saw guys chunking in the Bay and getting slots. There have also been some bigger bass along the oceanfront, especially for those putting in a good amount of time after dark. Once again, boaters have the advantage here.

#3- Schoolies- I have been getting some here and there, but no big numbers.  I fished several evenings this week in good water targeting stripers of any size.  I never got skunked but the best I could get was only 4 schoolies.  This has been a sub par year for stripers so far in RI and I'm not too sure things will improve that much this weekend.  Still, they are around, but not in great numbers.