Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Big Night from the Yaks

 

We had decent action from the kayak this evening.
Jon got all his fish on a Rebel Jumpin' Minnow.

All spring it has been a case of finding the fish, as they seem to really be on the move.  We finally had some decent weather to fish from the kayaks tonight so my son Jon and I headed out for an evening of fishing.  We did some paddling and pedaling around, but finally we found big numbers of stripers. 

They were fussy as we had tons of follows with occasional takers.  Still, we managed to hook and get over 30 fish to the kayaks in a couple of hours of fishing. Jon got all his on a Rebel Jumpin' Minnow, a plug that he has great success on, and he can catch when no one else can. Maybe the way he works it? I had no luck on the Minnow so I used an unweighted Zoom Fluke with a single swimbait hook. I was using the pearl with a chartreuse tail. Twitching it enticingly below the surface did the trick.

The fish tonight were all sizes from 14 inches up to small slots.  Most of the fish averaged 20 to 24 inches.

This has been a spring in which the fish are not everywhere. It has been a hit or miss game for me. Sometimes it just takes a lot of looking around and casting. I'm also fishing many places based on past successes as noted in my logbooks. 

I had good success using an unweighted Zoom Fluke.
The single hook made for easy catch and release.