Friday, May 20, 2022

Blue Dogs Running

The blue dogs were on the rampage
this evening.  Big numbers are 
cruising around if you can find 
them.

Tonight I left the kayak in the garage and pulled the waders out and headed for the surf. I went looking for stripers but found a bonanza of bluefish. For two hours I had a hit or a fish on just about every cast of my Yo-Zuri Hydro Pencil. It was simply LOADED!

These blues were all decent size.  They were running 6 to 10 lbs. They were super active and sometimes would chase down that hydro pencil smashing it several times before getting hooked. Man, bluefish can really put on a real show!

Last year it was just about this time of the year that big numbers of blues hit both the oceanfront and the Bay.  I have known they've been around for the last 4 or 5 days, but I just have not hit it right until tonight.  While there are some blues at the oceanfront, the Bay is probably your best bet to catch a blue. The Bay is also your best bet to catch a striper right now. Overall, the Bay is far outfishing the oceanfront this spring.