Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Jigs Getting the Job Done

Schoolies are abundant these days.
This one was taken on a Cocahoe
mounted on a 1/2 ounce jighead
that trailed off a wooden float.
You don't need a whole bag full of plugs and lures to catch fish right now.  Jigs are catching most of the stripers and bluefish because these fish are feeding on small bait such as bay anchovies and small sandeels. Jigs are the best imitators of this small baitfish.  I have been out every day in last five days and have caught between 6-12 fish an outing, so it has been very steady. Most of these have been schoolies with an occasional small keeper.  Stripers are outnumbering bluefish 10 to 1. Here are the top jigs:
1. Cocahoes on jigheads.  I like the larger white or glow colored queen Cocachoe mounted on half ounce jigheads. I either use this as is or off a wooden float.
2. Bucktail jigs.  These are also working well.  I like 3/8 or 1/2 oz. flathead jigs that I make myself.  You will need to add a three inch white plastic tail to make the jig effective.  I like the Bass Pro triple ripple grub tails.  Once again, use the jig alone or off a float. The jig works especially well when stripers and blues are mixed.
3.  Zoom flukes on jigheads.  I like the albino colored super flukes mounted on a half ounce jighead.  Use it alone or off a float.