Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Albie Watch

I have nothing to report yet. The rumors are around.....some say a few albies have been taken in the traps, others report seeing some small pods jumping.  But, I know of none that have been caught.
A lot of fishermen are itching to get out and hook up with these gamesters.  Here are the dates on which I have taken them in the last three years.  In 2010, I got my first one on Sept. 15.  In 2011, it happened again on Sept. 15.  In 2012, I got the first ones on Sept. 9.  Historically, false albacore appear in big numbers around the middle of September and that's when I think it will happen again this year. I plan to start seriously looking for them next week.
In the past they have appeared when a lot of bait shows up.  That hasn't happened yet.  The bait that was around about two weeks ago seems to have disappeared.  If we don't get big amounts of bait to attract albies, all bets are off. I will also tell you that there have been years in which I was not able to catch a single albie.  They are not a sure bet. We have been spoiled in the last few years.  Last year, especially, was probably the best year ever here in RI for albies.  I sure hope it happens again this year.