Monday, May 29, 2017

First Blue

Yes, they are around, but no big numbers.
It was late incoming, but I got my first bluefish last evening in Narragansett Bay from shore.  I know that they have been around for the last ten days or so along the oceanfront, but this is the first one that I have caught and even heard of in the Bay. Note that it was one lone fish that hit a Rebel Jumpin Minnow, so I don't think there are any big numbers around.  Until we see some warmer weather and more bait, I don't think you are going to see big numbers of bluefish.
In recent years, the trend for blues has been more of a late summer and fall thing.  They usually arrive when schools of peanut bunker come around and that happens in mid to late summer.
The fishing in general has become an up and down thing in recent days.  The unusual cool weather, lots of rain, and really big tides has had a negative effect on the shore fishing for stripers.   I also notice the water quality in the Bay is poor.  There is also a lot of weed and grass in the water due to this week's higher than normal tides, and the water has had a greenish/brown tint to it.