Sunday, May 7, 2017

Catching in the Nastiness

This is one of 40 stripers landed
this evening in the Bay. Zoom
flukes on a jighead continue
to be very effective in the Bay.
It's been no let up from my end as the glut of schoolies continues to roll along. The oceanfront was battered from that big storm on Friday and Saturday and then the big southerly blow today.  So, rather than fighting the heavy surf and roiled water along the oceanfront, I concentrated on the Bay in the last few days. And, the fishing there was good as it seems to improve by the day, even in the nasty weather.
This evening I had my best outing yet in the Bay this spring as I landed over 40 schoolies in just a couple of hours of  fishing.  They were hitting the albino Zoom fluke on a 3/4 ounce jighead. While most of the fish were on the small side, I did have a number of them over 20 inches.  I'm guessing those millions of small ones that have been moving along the oceanfront are probably pouring into the Bay right now.
Prior to the storm I heard of some keepers up to 34 inches along the oceanfront and in the Bay.  But, I still have not seen or heard of a forty inch striper.  Rest assured, that is coming as the Bay is also loaded with menhaden, and it is only a matter of time until the large fish come looking for them.