Thursday, May 2, 2013

Fish Spreading Out in Bay

I fished the last two evenings in the Bay.  Yesterday I fished from shore and tonight I fished from my brother's boat.  The good news is that there seems to be fish all over the place.  The bad news is that there are still not real big numbers of fish.
I had an interesting outings last evening.  I fished a number of locations in the upper Bay.  I landed two fish on Zoom flukes.  The big surprise is that one of the fish was a keeper of 30 inches.  I got that fish in a location in which menhaden were popping all over the place.  Yes, this big bait is around.
Tonight we hit a number of locations in the mid and upper Bay from the boat.  Just about every shallow water spot we plugged yielded a hit or a fish, but it was simply one here, one there.  We found no big numbers.  However, a couple of fish that we caught were hefty schoolies in the 24-26 inch range (see photo).  All the hits and fish fell for Zoom flukes on half ounce jigheads.
So, fishing in the Bay is on the upswing and should certainly improve in the coming days and weeks.