Sunday, July 7, 2024

Uptick in Fishing but Still Subpar

 

Big bucktail jigs with a Fat Cow jig strip have
been good in the last couple of evenings.

July has started off better than June with an uptick in the surf fishing for me along the oceanfront.  There has been rough water due to all these fronts, and I think that has caused resident fish to become a bit more active.  I'm still seeing no bait from shore, so that becomes the reason for our subpar fishing for the summer so far. The fishing overall remains off compared to past years.

I had a number of decent fish in the last couple of evenings with good numbers of slots and even some over slots in the mix along with some hefty schoolies.  I got all my fish on jigs.  A large bucktail with a pink Fat Cow jig strip (five inch split tail) has been hot.  A large NLBN paddle tail mounted on a one ounce head has also been very productive.

The weird thing about fishing in the last couple of days has been the fact that the fish have shut off right before dark.  I've been putting in some time after dark but have had no success at that time. 

Most of my fish have been either just under or just
over the slot.  An occasional over slot has also been
landed.