Saturday, July 20, 2024

Loners in the Rough

 

The NLBN 5 inch paddle tail has been
a good lure for me this week and has 
caught most of my fish. This slot fish
was landed in some very rough, churned 
up water.

There was an uptick in the fishing this week.  While the numbers of stripers is still dreadfully down for shore fishermen in RI, I was able to come up with at least some fish on every outing in the past week.  I was catching one to three fish an outing. Most of them were either just over or just under the slot limit.

I'm sure this improved fishing was due to the rough water we have been seeing all week along the oceanfront.  These fish were all loners, resident fish, poking around in the white, churned up water, searching for any food that is getting tossed around. I saw no sign of any bait, a theme that has defined this summer's fishing. I've seen no peanut bunker thus far.

The hot lure for me this week has been a 5 inch NLBN paddle tail mounted on a one ounce jighead. That caught most of the fish with a few fish falling for the float and jig also.  Jigs have ruled the fishing for me for most of the summer.