Friday, July 26, 2024

Slugging it Out in Some Cloudy Conditions

The fish is in one hand and
the white Slug-go is in
the other. Slug-gos were my
best lures on this day.

 I changed tactics this week as I headed north to come cooler water in the hopes of finding more fish.  I did find some in cloudy and drizzly conditions.  I knew from past years that those stormy days tend to perk up the fishing in the dead of summer.

I found some fish, but they were very fussy, a summer trait. After throwing some topwater offerings and swimmers with no success, I went with a nine inch, white Slug-go, and that did the trick.  The fish were close enough to reach with the Slug so that made things a bit easier. When all else fails, the Slug-go often shines.  The fish really like the natural alluring swimming motion of this lure, and often can't resist striking it.  The day I used it I landed several fish and had several more hits and fish on.

I like to fish my Slug-gos unweighted with one hook in the head.  I've been using BKK Titanrider swimbait hooks all season for my soft plastics.  With the 9-inch Slug-go, I use a size 6/0.

Here's how I fish them.  Cast out and slowly reel while twitching the rod tip.  Occasionally just stop it. Many of my hits come on the stop. I tend to go with white Slug-gos in the daytime and black at night, though the white sometimes works well at night too.