Friday, April 28, 2023

Playing and Scoring at a Finesse Game

 

I've got several NLBN paddle tails
ready to go.  These three inch lures
are deadly when the stripers are
feeding on small bait.

There are a lot of stripers right now in Narragansett Bay.  They are being drawn into the Bay by warmer water and an unusual amount of bait for this time of year.  The bait for the most part is small, either silversides or peanut bunker. So, with the small bait around, I have been going with a finesse game the last several outings, and I am catching very good numbers of schoolies and slots.

Last evening I was fishing an area with about a dozen other fishermen.  Yes, the word it out. I was using a NLBN, three inch paddle tail along with a half ounce jighead. That bait worked wonders, and I would guess I caught as many fish as all the other fishermen combined. I was the only guy using some type of jig. Many of those other fishermen were casting big topwater plugs.  I don't get the fascination with using a big plug when the fish are feeding on small bait. They caught a few fish, but could have really scored with a more finesse-type of approach and smaller offerings.

On another evening this week, I was fishing next to a friend who was fly fishing.  This fisherman was also scoring real well with the fly which was some type of peanut bunker imitator. Fly fishing is a real finesse approach when chasing stripers that are on small bait. 

Here's a slot fish taken on a NLBN paddle
tail. This has been my hottest lure in the 
last few outings.