Tuesday, April 25, 2023

On the Slug

 

Here's a hefty schoolie that was
taken on the Slug recently.

I've caught good numbers of stripers in the last week. The Bay has been especially productive for me from shore.  I've seen more good fish in April than I have ever seen. Just about 50% of the fish I have caught so far have been slots. That is very unusual for the start of any striper season since the early going is usually dominated by small schoolies. Not this year!

The other unusual thing is that I am getting good numbers of my stripers on top using Slug-gos.  This is far outfishing traditional topwater plugs such as poppers and Jumpin Minnows. I love using Slug-gos because you are dealing with a single hook that is great for catch-and-release and good for the fish since it does little damage.

My Slug-go of choice has been an all white 7 1/2 inch model.  I've been using a 6/0 wide gap worm hook up front.  Sometimes I go with a swimbait hook.  I like to cast this out and twitch the rod tip on a slow retrieve of the reel making the lure dance back and forth. The Slug-go moves alluringly on the surface or just below.  Every so often I stop reeling.  Most of the hits come on the stop. 

Here's a small slot that was landed on a Slug-go today.
This has been my best surface lure in the last week.

My Slug-go of choice is a 7 1/2 inch white 
model.  This one is rigged with a wide
gap worm hook (size 6/0)