Saturday, April 24, 2021

Stripers Spreading Out; Other Fish Arrive

 

I caught this schoolie along with many more
today in a backwater location. The bucktail jig
was a hot lure today. The stripers are really
spreading out.

Those massive numbers of stripers that are now migrating along the RI oceanfront are also moving into other places too.  They are flooding into many of the backwater ponds and rivers along the oceanfront.  They are also streaming into the Bay in increasing numbers.

Today I decided to get away from the oceanfront crowds as I fished one of my backwater locations.  It was the same story as all week as I found big time numbers of schoolies there too.  All my fish today, all schoolies from 12 to 20 inches, fell for a bucktail jig spiced with a plastic curly tail.  The bucktail jig been a hot number all week along the oceanfront for me.

While all this striper action has been happening, there have also been some surprises. Some hickory shad have been caught in the schools of bass.  Also I know of at least 5 squeteague that have been taken in the last few days by fishermen casting for stripers.