Thursday, April 29, 2021

Bucktail Jigs....Hottest Lures so Far

 

This schoolie fell for a homemade
bucktail jig a few days ago along
the oceanfront.

The hottest lures for me in the early going has been bucktail jigs. I've gone mostly with the bucktail along the oceanfront, and I've fished it from the kayak in the Bay, and in both locations it has been my best producer.

I make all my own bucktail jigs.  I especially like the flat head jig in a half ounce size.  I make mine all white with red thread.  I always use a plastic curly tail on these jigs.  My favorite is a 3 inch, white, triple ripple grub tail from Bass Pro. In low water locations where a long cast might be needed, I will fish the bucktail off a wooden egg float.  In deeper water where I don't need a long cast, I will fish just the jig.

In past years, the Cocahoe has been my go to lure along the oceanfront in the spring.  In the Bay, it has been the Zoom fluke on a jighead.  But, this year, the bucktail lure has been the best for early season schoolies.  That could all change in the coming weeks, but right now, the bucktail rules.

This good size schoolie was taken on a bucktail jig yesterday
evening from the kayak.