Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Big Numbers from the Kayak

 

It was big numbers of stripers from my new
Old Town PDL kayak today.

I call this my maiden voyage since it was the first time I had taken my new Old Town Sportsman Pedal kayak out into the Bay to fish for stripers. And, it turned out to be a memorable maiden voyage with big, big numbers of stripers. In one  hour and a half span, I probably had a hit or a fish on just about every cast of my bucktail jig.

Having fished all evening from the kayak I can tell you that the pedal drive kayak is a gamechanger if you want to fish from a kayak. It really moves with pedal power and your hands are free to fish the whole time. It is also great to reposition yourself if you find the fish in a certain location which I did today.

I must have pedaled at least 4 miles today.  I would not have been able to paddle that distance. No way. 

Clearly, big numbers of stripers have moved into the Bay.  These come from the same mold as the fish

I caught this one while trolling a zoom fluke off
a float. The pedal kayak makes for easy trolling.

we were catching along the oceanfront. Maybe they are the same ones?  Generally, they are small, 10 to 18 inches on average, though I did have a couple of 20 inch fish today.  I also had a big one hit a Jumpin Minnow on the surface.  I'm sure it was a keeper.  My son, Jon, was also out today, and he did catch a keeper from his kayak along with big numbers of smaller ones.