Thursday, April 22, 2021

STAGGERING NUMBERS

Here's a hefty 25 inch schoolie
that I landed this week.  While 
most of the April fish are small,
there are some hefty fish in the
mix, even small keepers.

 The striper fishing has exploded this week along the RI south shore oceanfront.  If you were the right spots, you were finding massive numbers of migrating schoolies.

Today I fished in that big blow.  I was in a spot all to myself.  Not a single fisherman was in sight.  First 25 casts....25 fish.  And, it continued like this for hours with a fish or a hit on just about every cast of my bucktail jig. While most of these early stripers are small 10 to 16 inch fish, there are some bigger ones in the mix.  I've gotten at least half a dozen fish this week in the 24 to 26 inch range.  I even heard of a small keeper being landed.

For me it's been a bonanza for the last three days.  I'm getting fish in multiple spots but you might have to move around to find the big numbers.  The hot lures have been bucktail jigs and Cocahoes on jigheads.  In the last couple of days, I have done better on the bucks than the Cocahoes. The beauty of the jig is that it makes for safe and effective catch and release fishing. I've landed a lot of schoolies this week and there was not one mortality that I know of.