Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Stripers, Hickory Shad and Now, BLUEFISH!

Our terrific spring fishing of 2015 has suddenly gotten ever better.  My son, Jon, has been fishing big time along the oceanfront in the past week.  He has landed big numbers of stripers up to near keeper size, lots of hickory shad and even landed the first bluefish of the year (that I have heard about) today. He is fishing multiple locations.  He is having all this success while using small swimmers (4-inch Rapala X-Rap) along with shrimp fly teasers. The small swimmers have far outfished jigs and plastics in the last week along the oceanfront.
I have focused my attention on the Bay in the last two weeks.  I am still getting good numbers of stripers up to keeper size. The fish are hitting in the daytime as well as after dark. Most of my fish are falling for small skinny plastic fished off a float.  I would predict that by the weekend we will see some bluefish in the Bay.