Friday, May 8, 2015

On the Skinny Plastic

Skinny plastic like this Slug-Go was hot tonight.
For the first time this spring, I caught good numbers of schoolies tonight fishing skinny plastic from shore.  It is a sure sign that the water is warming and the fish are getting more active.
Tonight I was using a 7 1/2 inch white Slug-Go. Typically, you cast this out and twitch the rod tip on the retrieve to give this lure its action.  Tonight the stripers were fussy in some very calm water.  At first they would whirl it and follow it, but few actually hit the lure.  That changed when I adjusted the retrieve. On the retrieve, I would just stop stop reeling on occasion, letting the skinny plastic just sit there suspended for a few seconds.  This is something that really works for fussy fish. It  did tonight as nearly every fish I landed was hooked when I stopped reeling. Try it the next time you are into fussy fish while fishing skinny plastic.