Friday, November 9, 2012

The Next Week Should be Hot

I expect the next week to offer some of the best fishing of the fall along the RI shoreline.  That's the way it has played out the last few years and I see no reason why it won't happen again this year.  The storms are past us, the water has cleared and the forecast calls for tranquil seas, light winds and relatively storm free weather ahead of us.  People are seeing gannets all over the place along the oceanfront, an indication that big bait (ocean herring, maybe) is around. It has all the makings of a great week of fishing on the way.
I can tell you that today was a very good day of fishing, and hopefully this is a sign of things to come.  I was up in the Bay in the afternoon and evening just banging one schoolie after another.  At the same time, my son, Ben was at the oceanfront sitting on a glut of fish.  He reports catching over 50 schoolies as feeding fish were busting all around him all afternoon.  He was the only guy out fishing. 
So, it's back in business, and I am not surprised.  That is the way it is supposed to be at this time of year.  Hopefully, the access and parking issues have cleared up along the south shore.