Friday, November 16, 2012

Nearing the END

The first of ten schoolies landed today. 
Sad to say but the fishing along the oceanfront is coming to an end.  I went to the ocean today, and it just looked dead.  There were few fishermen around which is always a bad sign.  Except for a gannet here and there diving way out, I saw no evidence of any bait and the water was unusually rough and sandy in spots.  I fished that area from Matunuck to Charlestown, a real good stretch of shoreline at this time of year.  After four hours of fishing, it looked like I was going to blank and finally I got my first schoolie (see pic) at 3:30 in the afternoon.  Quickly, I landed 9 more in one particular spot on Cocahoes and teasers right before dark.  These were all very small fish running 12-15 inches.  These small ones are yet another sign that things are coming to an end.
So, I suspect there will be no grand finale this season.  I don't think the herring runs will develop and I think we have seen the last of the keeper bass and bluefish. This schoolie fishing could extend another few days, maybe a week or so. You might even stumble upon a real good schoolie day in the next week if you put in a lot of time and effort.
I've decided my strategy is to start hitting the winter spots that have holdover fish.  I suspect those places will start producing soon if they haven't already.