Saturday, October 14, 2023

Mayhem on the Beach!

The beachfront was running hot today with lots
of slot fish in a mid day blitz.

 I have been chasing stripers up and down beaches for the last three days. Today I set out on a long walk in search of them.  I saw a few birds working in the distance about a quarter mile from where I was so I went down the shore to investigate. As I got to the spot which seemed to be a longer walk than what I anticipated, the water in front of me erupted.  Birds diving, fish breaking all around me, peanut bunker flying out of the water. It was mayhem, and the stripers were on a rampage. They were jumping all over  my 5 inch NLBN paddle tail as soon as it hit the water.

It was a rare moment where I was completely alone on the beach. The nearest fisherman was maybe three hundred yards away.  For half an hour it was a fish or a hit on just about every cast.  And, the fish were decent, running 26 to 30 inches.

Right now, the stripers and the bait are on the move.  They are popping up in various places daily along the RI south shore oceanfront. I've seen everything from a few fish breaking to all out blitzes to completely dead in the last few days. You just have to find them. Realize, too, that those dead spots can suddenly erupt just when you think there is nothing around.

The fall migration is in full swing right now.