Thursday, October 12, 2023

A Bonanza in the Dark

 

It was a bonanza of slots tonight
in the darkness.

Overall, it was a pretty dead day today in the daylight along the oceanfront.  But, there was some bait around, and I have been making an effort in the last couple of weeks to fish later at night.  So, I decided that I would stick it out tonight well after dark.

It paid off. As it got pitch dark, I noticed fish starting to break right in front of where I was casting.  As a bonus I also saw large 5 and 6 inch peanut bunker washing up onto the shore as they tried to escape the predators.  When I saw that I snapped on my 5 inch NLBN paddle tail with a one ounce NLB head, a dead ringer for large peanut bunker. All of it worked to perfection as I had a hit or a fish just about every cast for a solid hour after dark.  The fish were also good size with most of them either slots or just under slot size.

At this time of year it is always a good idea to stick it out until after dark.  In today's location, there were a few fishermen at sunset.  But, they just about all left right at dark and missed out on the nighttime bonanza.

Tonight's hot lure was a 5 inch NLBN (No Live Bait Needed)
paddle tail with a one ounce NLBN jighead.
This is a dead ringer for large peanut bunker.