Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Loaded with Bait/Fish BUT Way Out

 I had a frustrating day of it yesterday.  For hours, I watched masses of birds diving onto bait as predators attacked from below (see video below).  This was happening in multiple spots. And, it was all happening out of casting range. This is a pattern that I've seen very often this fall.  A lot of the bait and migrating stripers are tracking well off the shore.  It was only during those northeast blows in September that we saw consistent action close to shore.

Yesterday, I was almost sure something big would happen close to dark.  And, just as the sun set I saw a small pod of stripers start busting right in front of me. I tossed my float and jig right into them two casts in a row but no takers.  So, I scrambled to quickly snap on a Yo- Zuri  Hydro Pencil which got hit immediately.  I was onto a decent fish when suddenly I lost it.  I reeled in quickly and ran to my right as the fish were moving in that direction.  Next cast, Bang! I had another fish on but I lost that one also close to shore after a decent fight.  And, those were my chances.  Darkness arrived and it was all over.

Yup, this was a frustrating day for a surfcaster, but that's the way it goes.