Friday, April 15, 2022

Sea Lice Tell the Story as the Scouts Arrive

 

Here is my first migrating
striper for 2022.  It fell for a
Cocahoe on a half ounce jighead.


The scouts have arrived along the RI oceanfront.  These "first" stripers are the frontrunners of the main migration of striped bass that should arrive in force any day now.

I made a lot of casts along the shore today in multiple spots and came away with my first two migrating stripers for 2022.  I know these were new fish because they were loaded with sea lice.  Sea lice is an indicator that these fish came in from the ocean.  Holdover stripers do not have sea lice.

My first ones fell for a Cocahoe on a half ounce jighead, a lot lure along the oceanfront in the early going.  That jig can be fished alone or off a float. 

Check out the sea lice on this fish that I landed
tonight.  Most migrating fish will have sea lice.