Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Hefty Schoolies/ Slots Arrive

It was an evening of hefty schoolies and
slots along the oceanfront for me. The
fish were running 24 to 28 inches. 
Bucktail jigs were the best lures today.

 I hit a banner afternoon today along the south shore oceanfront as I found good numbers of hefty schoolies and slots in the 24 to 28 inch range. It was my first brush with better size migrating fish this spring.  I got them all on big bucktail jigs (1 oz. homemade Spire Point jigs) spiced with 4 inch curly tails.  The oceanfront was very windy and rough today, ideal conditions in my book, and that contributed greatly to the good fishing.

The big problem right now along the oceanfront is weed.  That thick, red weed is all over the beachfront, but there are clean spots here and there.  It's a matter of finding those clean, fishable places that have fish. So, it might take some looking to find these better fish. I hit multiple places today before finding fish.

With May right around the corner, expect to find more and more larger stripers along the oceanfront.  Also in the coming days, the Bay should perk up as the fish make their way northward and into the warmer waters of Narragansett Bay.