Friday, October 1, 2021

Hitting it BIG in the Kayak

 

The Rebel Jumpin' Minnow was
a hot plug today.  It works great 
when aggressive stripers are hitting
peanut bunker.

The last few days have been ideal to fish from a kayak.  It's been light northwest winds along with calm seas. In addition to these ideal conditions, there has been a lot of stripers around both in the Bay and along the oceanfront.

So, today I decided to go out in the kayak, and I'm glad I did.  I went with my son Jon and we found small pods of good size stripers slamming peanut bunker in the location we fished.  I used a Rebel Jumpin' Minnow in a bone color and that did the trick with the aggressive stripers.  It seems to me like the cooler nights have lowered the water temperatures, and that has gotten the stripers in a super charged feeding mood. It's a sure sign that fall is here.

Jon and I landed good numbers of stripers today from the kayak with many of them slot limit fish and even some biggies over the slot limit. 

This past week has been a super week of striper fishing for me with over 30 slot limit keepers and over slots in the last five days.  In addition, I've had a lot of hefty schoolies from 25 to 27 inches. The action is as good as it gets right now.

This is the biggest fish, an over slot, that I landed today from
the kayak.  We had several fish this size range along with others 
from hefty schoolies to slot limit keepers.