Saturday, October 16, 2021

Big Buck Comes Through AGAIN!

 

The hot lure today was a homemade
bucktail jig (one oz.) spiced with
a four inch triple ripple tail.

It's been a frustrating week of fishing.  No question, the saltwater fishing has gone downhill since those big waves pounded the shore last weekend.  It sent a lot of the bait packing and the predators dispersed, making for inconsistent fishing. All week it has been a pick for me with a couple of fish here and there with no keepers until this evening.

I went out this afternoon and could find nothing anywhere at first, not even any fishermen.  Real dead. But, I finally located a small bunch of fussy stripers feeding on tiny bay anchovies. These seemed to be small schoolies feeding on top.  I went through much of my bag of tricks for fussy fish  Float and jig.....no good. Float and fly.....no takers. Jointed swimmer.....no good.  Yo-Zuri Hydro Pencil- ah, finally a schoolie took it. But, my success was short lived as fish continued breaking, but not hitting my offering. 

I know from past experiences with fussy fish that sometimes, the bigger fish are lurking below the surface feeding small bass.  So, I snapped on a one ounce bucktail jig spiced with a four inch curly tail and casted it to a small pod of breaking bass.  I let the jig sink below the surface feeding fish and began a jigging retrieve, when suddenly,  BANG, I was onto my first keeper of the evening.  I used the same technique to nail three more fish, my second slot limit keeper and two others hefty schoolies. 

Once again, the bucktail jig produced.  It has been one of my most productive lures to use all year in various situations.