Sunday, May 30, 2021

Full Review of Old Town Sportsman PDL 106 Kayak

 

Here is my Old Town Sportsman PDL at the
boat ramp ready to go.  It is simply a fishing 
machine.

I’ve been fishing from my Old Town Sportsman PDL 106 kayak for well over a month now.  I’ve been out about 10 times for a total of roughly 40 hours of fishing. With that experience under my belt, I feel that I can now do a full review of this kayak.

I’ll be doing a number of topics and giving each topic a grade (A, B, C etc.):

From a fishing perspective- Once you fish from one of these you will never go back to a paddle kayak again. The hands free operation of the kayak is simply fantastic for fishing.  You can be pedaling slowly and fishing at the same time.  No time is wasted. Trolling is also a breeze. All steering is done by a rudder that is controlled by a knob by your seat. This pedal kayak is a fishing machine! Grade-A

The pedal drive propels the kayak.  Pedal in
one direction and you go forward.  Reverse
direction and you go in reverse. The reverse is
a necessity.

Pedal drive-
The drive on this kayak runs by pedaling like you would pedal a bike. The pedal moves a propellor under the kayak to move you forward by pedaling in a clockwise motion.  Move your feet the other way and you move in reverse. I nearly bought a less expensive Hobie kayak that only had forward movement.  I’m glad I didn’t since I find myself constantly using the reverse to reposition myself or to back out of low water situations.  People ask me what it’s like to pedal this kayak.  It is like riding a bike up a gentle hill.  You will feel some resistance. Since I ride a bike just about every day, it was a smooth transition for me. Those not in great shape my find it a bit difficult at first.  I can also move much faster in this kayak than I can in a paddle one. Grade- A

Features-  I love the features on this kayak.  It was like a fisherman designed it. It’s got three rod holders in great locations.  The gear tracks on both sides hold my trolling rod holder and camera boom.  There are hatches in the front and back that hold some tools and a first aide kit in a dry bag. The hatches have somewhat tight covers that do not allow water to come in. The paddle holder works great since a paddle is needed to launch from low water and to come back in shallow water. There is also a well in the back with bungee cords that holds my crate. If you are into adding a depth finder/fish finder, there is a mount already set up on the bottom. The rudder is lowered and lifted by a lever on the right side.  Steering is done by a lever on the left side. There are also indentations on both side of the kayak held with a rubber mesh that holds my pliers and gripper and extra plugs.  A plug box fits under the seat. There is even a drink holder built into the hull! Grade- A

My Scotty trolling rod holder fits in the gear 
track on the kayak. The kayak is loaded
with features fishermen will love.

Seat
- The seat is mesh and padded. It is so comfortable, it is like sitting on a living room chair.  It is fully adjustable and can be removed when transporting (I don’t). Grade- A

Stability-  So, so stable compared to other kayaks. In fact, I frequently stand up on the padded floor to fish in calm water.  No problems. This kayak might be short, but it is 36 inches wide which adds greatly to the stability. Grade- A

Handling in calm water- At 10 ft., 6 inches, this kayak was basically made to fish freshwater lakes and ponds and protected saltwater areas like harbors and bays. In calm water with winds under 15 miles an hour and in current free locations it handles and moves really well. Grade- A

Handling in rough and choppy water- Not so good.  The bow on this kayak sits low with only about a foot of clearance from the water.  If you are moving in choppy conditions (1 to 2 foot chop) you will get a lot of water coming into the kayak.  It drains fast but when you see gallons of water coming at you, it’s a bit unnerving. In addition, it does not steer real well when you are getting tossed about. I’ve learned to not go out in 15 to 20 mile per hour winds and in very choppy conditions.  Hey, it was not made for this. I do not plan to use this kayak in the wide open ocean. If you want a kayak to go out in bigger water, think about the Salty PDL 120 or the Sportsman Big Water 132. Grade- C

Weight- Yes, it is heavy.  Any double hulled kayak is heavy. This one weighs 76 lbs. without the drive. The drive weighs another 18 lbs., but is not in the kayak when transporting. I’m sure bigger, younger and stronger people can lift this onto the roof of their vehicles.  I can not.  I have to rely on a cart ( Malone Wide Track ATB) to get to the water as well as into and out of my garage.  I might also back it up to a boat ramp and just lower it into the water. By the way, the Malone Kayak Cart is a perfect fit for this kayak. The kayak fits very nicely in the back of my Toyota Tacoma Pickup truck that has a 6 foot bed. Grade- B

I would highly recommend the Old Town Sportsman PDL 106 kayak to anyone looking for a 10 ft., 6 inch kayak to use for fishing in protected areas, bays and harbors. For fishing, the pedal drive is a gamechanger!

Simply fantastic for fishing calm, protected areas. Highly recommended!