Saturday, May 22, 2021

Blues on the Rampage from Shore and Kayak

 

Lots of big blues from shore. They
are in the Bay and along the
oceanfront.,

They are everywhere.  The bluefish have made the most memorable May appearance in the Bay and along the oceanfront in the last ten years. No one could have predicted that this would happen since the blues seemed to be on the downswing in recent years.  But, they are here in 2021, and they have been on the rampage.

I fished from shore several evenings this week and came away with big numbers of bluefish.  They were mostly hitting small pencil poppers that I used to punch into the wind.  Those shore blues were running 6 to 10 lbs.  

Today I got out in the kayak and while it took a while to find

Big time action from the
 kayak tonight.

them, once found, it was non-stop action. These were running the same size as those fish from shore.  All of my fish from the yak took a Rebel Jumpin' Minnow. I was reminded once again how difficult it is to land a big blue from the kayak.  My strategy has always been to try to tire them out, get them close to the kayak and grab them with the Boga Grip.  Once grabbed and secure I use my Van Staal pliers to unhook them. Sounds easy but it's not. 

How long these big blues will stick around is anyone's guess. But, for now, they are here and ready to provide anglers with some drag screaming action.