Friday, May 14, 2021

As Mays go, A Disappointment

 

For me, the bright spot has been 
kayak fishing in May.  Shore fishing
has been below expectations for May.

May is supposed to be the big spring month of striped bass fishing here in RI.  It has not been so far.

April started off gang busters with massive numbers of smaller stripers (10 to 18 inches) around.  Everyone expected the bigger fish to follow in May as they always have.  It has not happened. We all expected to huge numbers of fall schoolies in the 20 to 26 inch range to return as hefty schoolies and slot limit keepers in May. Hasn't happened yet.

I thank my lucky stars for that pedal kayak I bought.  That has been the bright spot for me with big numbers of schoolies and occasional larger schoolies and even slots.  But, I am getting them all in one general area. Shore fishing has been a struggle.  In the last couple of weeks, my best night was 5 schoolies. There have also been several nights with one lone fish. I've been mostly fishing the Bay.

I'm not buying the cold water theories for the lack of better fish. This week saw good numbers of bluefish along the oceanfront.  If blues are around, the water can't be that cold!