Friday, May 16, 2014

Three Hot Lures for the Bay

Schoolie and small keepers are plentiful in the Bay right now.  This has been a week of close to a hundred fish landed for me.  Yet, I have seen frustrated fishermen catching nothing.  Many of these guys are using the wrong stuff.
Here are the hottest three lures to use:
1.  Bucktail jigs-  I especially like a small, homemade (1/4-1/2 oz) flathead jig or "Upperman" style jig.  I like these jigs in all white made with red thread.  Add a three inch white plastic grub tail for added action.  You can fish the bucktail alone or off a float.
2.  Fork tailed plastic on a jighead-  My favorite here is a Zoom fluke mounted on a 3/8 oz. jighead.  My favorite color is albino.  These can be used alone or off a float also.
3.  Skinny plastic-  I have been using a white, 7 1/2 inch Slug-Gos all week to take some decent fish.  This lure can be used alone or put on a leader with a teaser ahead of it.  Rig this with a Texas style curved hook or a swimbait hook.