Thursday, May 8, 2014

First Bay Fish; First Keeper

My first keeper of the year was landed in the
Bay and was taken on a Red Gill teaser.
Things are now moving quickly as fishing is dramatically improving all over the state. I got out tonight in the Bay from shore and had a very good outing, landing 10 stripers.  While most were schoolies, I did get one small keeper, the first of the year for me.  The fish were also active with many slamming Slug-Gos twitched along the surface. Shallow Bay waters heat up quickly at this time of the year as Bay water temperatures tend to run about 5-8 degrees warmer than the oceanfront. That will cause the fish to be more active.  Besides the Slug-Go being hot, I also landed fish on a Zoom fluke on a jighead as well as a Red Gill teaser. With warmer weather headed our way this weekend, I suspect we will see an increase in the number and sizes of keeper fish around.