Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Blues Hit the Bay in Force

Fishing  for bluefish was red hot today from
the kayak.
I'm not sure they are all over the Bay, but the places I have been fishing are suddenly loaded with bluefish. At the same time, the striper numbers have gone downhill.
My son Jon and I went out in the kayaks today. It was simply loaded with bluefish.  At times, it was a hit or fish on just about every cast.  We saw few showing....a break here and there, but big numbers of the choppers around. We also saw little bait.
These skinny early season blues were also super aggressive.  At one point, I had one on. It suddenly leaped high into the air and threw the plug.  As the plug fell to the water and landed another blue immediately grabbed it.  In addition, as I was bringing in a hooked blue, on several occasions, I saw numerous other blues following the hooked one to the kayak. Most of these fish were in the 4 to 7 lb. range, though Jon had one biggie that went over 10 lbs.
The hot plug of the day for us was a Rebel Jumpin Minnow in a bone color.  However, I think these aggressive fish would have attacked anything that moved on the surface.
Note that last year was one of the very best on record for bluefish  in Narragansett Bay.  Will history repeat itself?
The Rebel Jumpin Minnow was a hot plug for us today.