Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Top Plastics for the Bay

Here are your top plastics for fishing the Bay
in shallow water for stripers of all sizes.
I continue to catch good numbers of stripers from shore and boat in the Bay. All my fish in the last couple of weeks have fallen for plastics.  I believe these are your top artificials if you are fishing shallow water for stripers in Narragansett Bay.
Here are the top bets:
1. Zoom fluke on a jighead- Use a light colored fluke body and the smallest jighead that you can cast.  I will use head sizes that vary from 1/4 to 1/2 ounce.  My favorite colored fluke body is an albino color.
2. 7 1/2 inch Slug-Go- I like this in a white color whether I am fishing at night or in the daytime. Cast out and twitch the rod tip with a slow retrieve to make the lure dance back and forth on top of the water or just below the surface.  Stop reeling every once in a while. I have a lot of hits on the stop.
Sometimes that Finesse Fish
will outperform all other
lures. Here is a keeper that
fell for it.
3. 5 inch Finesse Fish on a worm hook- I also like this in white.  Work it similar to the Slug-Go. Sometimes this will outperform the other two lures.

Note that all of the above lures work great on stripers. The problem comes in where blues are around as they were last night for me. I started with a Slug-Go and that got cut off after about 15 minutes. When that happens, ditch the plastic and go with a hard lure. I went with a bone colored Jumpin' Minnow and had my first blue of the year onto the shore in a short amount of time.