Sunday, June 10, 2018

Schoolies Abundant; Keepers Few and Far Between; Change in Scenery on the Way

Schoolies have been abundant in the Bay.
This was one of 18 fish landed tonight on
Zoom flukes.
This year's fishing scene in RI is unfolding very similar to last year.  We have an abundance of schoolies around. The Bay, where I have been fishing in the last few weeks, is loaded.  I've fished mid Bay and upper Bay and it doesn't seem to matter.  The schoolies are just about everywhere.  In the last five evenings I have fished from shore in different places and have landed from 3 to 18 fish a night. Keepers, however, are a different story.  I haven't landed one in two weeks now. I've seen a few landed from shore. The keepers tend to be small in the 28 to 32 inch range.
My plans for the upcoming week involve a change in scenery.  With the new moon tides on the way I think there are some opportunities for bigger fish.  Let's just say the bike is ready, the plug bag with bigger plugs is ready, the heavy gear is ready, and for the first time this year, I will be driving north rather than south. Let's hope things play out like last year!