Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A Real Hot Plug.....Rebel Jumpin' Minnow

The Rebel Jumpin' Minnow has been a hot
producer in the last week for keepers.
 I especially like the bone color (pic at right).
At first I was getting all my fish on jigs back in April.  Then, the white Slug-go was real hot.  And, now it's the Rebel Jumpin' Minnow.  I've written about this plug before and I feature it in my striper seminars.  Yes, it is that good and works just about every season.
I've landed several keepers in the last few evenings along with good numbers of schoolies.  They have all fallen for this plug.  It has even outperformed the Slug-go.  It has similar movement to skinny plastic but casts far better, especially into the wind.  That's why I have opted for this plug in the last few evenings of fishing into the wind.
Many fishermen ask how I work this plug.  Retrieve at a slow to moderate rate and pull the rod tip with a lot of short jerks, basically the same way you would fish skinny plastic.  You want the plug to dance on the surface and wiggle from side to side.
I especially like the "bone" color. I have also has good success with a blue and black model.  If you purchase one of these plugs, be aware that the hooks and hardware suck.  I replace the hooks with VMC 4x size # 1 hooks and I replace the split rings with something more heavy duty.
If you never tried this plug, give it a whirl.  In Gansett Bay and along the oceanfront I consider it one of the top 5 plugs you can use.