Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sandeels Arrive, Fishing Lights Up




Well, my guess was wrong. Judging by the fishing I am having this week, we were just in a temporary lull last week. Things have changed in a big way. The winds have shifted to the north, the weather has cooled resulting in dropping water temperatures and sandeels have arrived big time. It has all caused the fishing in the upper Bay to light up. In the last three nights while wading I have witnessed fish breaking in front of me, in back of me and all around me. Yes, they are fussy because they are on small two to three inch sandeels, but they are still hitting. Lots of keepers around also, especially those 28-34 inch fish. There are also pesty bluefish mixed in. I've landed 5-6 stripers an evening with most of the action happening after dark. Fishermen around me have also been scoring.