Friday, June 11, 2010

Electric Chicken is Hot Color



I got a variety of some new, skinny 6-inch Hogys in the mail today and one of the colors that caught my eye was "electric chicken" (see photo at right). This model sports a pink back with a yellowish sparkling belly. I figured it caught my eye, maybe it would get the attention of a striper or two.


I tried out this new version from the kayak in the Upper Bay. On my second cast, an explosion engulfed my electric chicken Hogy and I was onto a decent thirty inch fish (see photo). This type of action continued with fish, hits and follows for an hour and a half. I landed 5 stripers of which three of them were keepers in the 28-32 inch range. My offering was rigged with a Hogy swimbait hook, one of those hooks that has the screw-type device that holds the head of the stick bait in place. It was the first time I had used this hook and I have to say it worked terrific.