Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Move to the Top



Fished again in the same spot as last night. A vastly different story. Instead of a south wind in my face with rough water, it was a north wind at my back and calm water. The float and jig rig, so good last night, was out of the question since the float tends to spook the fish in calm and clear water. So, I decided to fish topwater. In the light of evening, I started off with a Zara Spook. It got me a lot of whirls and hits, but only one schoolie. Next, I snapped on a small needlefish...same story. Finally, I hit the jackpot with a small, 3 inch, homemade popper that is the size of my fingers (see photo at right). In the past, it had been one of my best producers in these conditions in the Bay. That did the trick as the schoolies really keyed on this small offering which is a good imitator of a lot of small bait. I landed 6 schoolies on this plug in an hour and had several more fish on and hits.


I didn't use my Hogy because most of the schoolies were small, 14-20 inches. However, once it got dark, I snapped on the nine inch skinny Hogy and was rewarded with the biggest fish from shore thus far, a beautiful 35-36 inch striper!