Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Change in Tactics Produces

I was out in one of my favorite spots in the Bay last evening. Conditions were tough with a strong south wind right in my face that was blowing whitecaps ashore. At first I went to the Hogy, a lure that has been hot all week. Within a few casts, I knew there was no way I could effectively cast it into the wind or work it correctly in the wind and turbulent water.
So, I abandoned that and went to an old favorite from the oceanfront...the float and bucktail jig rig. The wooden egg float casted like a bullet into the wind. In addition, the turbulent water brought the jig to life. It was also a good choice since I was fishing above a lot of snags and rocks. The results......8 schoolies and several more fish on. Once again, the float and jig came through as it often does in rough conditions.