Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Striper Fishing Blows Up Post Storm; Blitzes from Shore and Kayak!

A bucktail jig coming off a wooded egg float
was the ticket from shore yeaterday.

I had two great days of striper fishing in a row.  

Yesterday I walked into a massive blitz of fish going crazy in the white water and rough conditions along the oceanfront.  It was a good ole fashioned blitz with birds diving and fish breaking.  It was still quite rough from the northeaster, but safe and very fishable where I was.  I ended up landing 25 fish that ranged from 24 to 30 inches.  Hefty schooolies made up the bulk of the catch.  I got them all on a wooden egg float and a jig, an ideal set up to use in white water where a long cast is needed and where stripers are feeding on small bait (looked like bay anchovies to me).

Today I took the kayak out into Narragansett Bay where my son Jon has been killing them in the last few days.  I found good numbers of fish breaking here and there.  And, these were larger fish than what I saw at the oceanfront yesterday.  At times the breaks were like cinder blocks hitting the water.  But, they were fussy in some super calm conditions.  I could only get them to hit an unweighted Finesse Fish on a super slow retrieve with stops. I ended up the morning with 7 stripers- generally all slots with one over slot. I had a ton of hits but a lot of fussy takers.

It was hot fishing in the kayak today
for large fish. Most of my fish were slots
with this one over slot.

So, that big northeaster has charged up the striper fishing. It's about time.  Looks like a fall run is in progress!