![]() |
| There are a few resident stripers around but the action overall is slow. Hope for some rough, white water this weekend to have your best shot. |
The fishing is moving slowly into a fall mode. Some stripers, some blues, some bonito and even some albies around, but there is not a lot of anything right now. Still, you can find some action is you really look. Boaters have a big advantage in that they can move around. Shore fishing is a hit and miss deal. So, here's the report:
Stripers- Tough right now since you are targeting resident fish. There are no migrations yet. I got out several times this week and hit a bunch of spots from shore. The best action was in white, rough water where I landed 5 fish. These were mostly schoolies with a slot or two. I got all the fish on a wooden egg float and jig. My sharpie friends who have been slugging it out at night report poor fishing. Some of my boating buddies are also reporting poor striper fishing.
You had to really look to find anyone else casting for stripers. Most are sitting on the sidelines and waiting for something to happen. Still, if we get a shot at northeast winds, cloudy weather and rough water this weekend, you could find some fish. I know I will be trying.
Pelagics- That bonito bite that we had a few weeks ago has fizzled. There are still some around but you have to really look. The boaters are faring much better since they can move around a lot. It's been a slow bite for shore fishermen.
Albies hit the shore a couple of days ago in one particular location. It was hot for a few days but poor this morning as my son Jon was trying. He had one blow up and saw a couple landed by huge numbers of guys/boats. The word is out. They are not widespread yet but this just might be the start. Worth looking around in the reliable spots this weekend. Advantage for boaters.
Blues- I still have yet to land a blue this year, and I have not seen any. I heard of a few small ones being caught this week by shore fishermen, but no numbers. Look for spots where lots of bait gathers.
Beware of Sharks- We are still loaded with brown sharks. I know of a couple of surfcasters who won't wade past their knees to fish. Some guys fishing eels at night have hooked sharks. Others who manage to hook a fish have had their fish cut in half. It's a big problem.
