Friday, October 14, 2022

Darters

 

The Yo-Zuri Mag Darter landed this 
good size slot fish last week in some
rough, moving water. 

With all this wind and rough weather lately, I find myself fishing darters more and more. I have rarely written about this plug since I generally use SP Minnows or Yo-Zuri Hydro Minnows when I want to use a swimming plug.  But, these are lightweight plugs compared to a beefy and heavier darter.  When the wind is howling and the surf is moving, the darter is a great specialty plug to use.

I've got a number of different darters, but the one I have been using recently has been the Yo-Zuri Mag Darter which weighs in at 2 ounces.  I have used this numerous times in the last three weeks and have scored good numbers of slot fish with it.  I like to use this plug in places with current, and I like to use it at night.  These places can be breachway flows or even surf generated current that you find in rough water. I'm not high using this plug in calm water with no current.  The current is what gives this plug action.  When the water runs up against the face of the plug, the plug wiggles back and forth on a slow retrieve.  You can feel that movement in your rod tip. I will also give the rod tip short occasional pulls which breaks up the rhythmic movements with an erratic movement, or something different.

By the way, my favorite color is bone.  Most of you know by now I favor white colored plugs both day and night.